Connect with me on: Google+
In late 1991 General Greene Council headquartered in Greensboro merged with neighboring Uwharrie Council of High Point, NC. The charters of the affiliated Order of the Arrow lodges, Tali Taktaki Lodge 70 and Uwharrie Lodge 208, expired on December 31, 1991. The new council was named Old North State Council and on January 1, 1992 a new lodge was formed. The lodge chose the name Keyauwee, the name of a local Indian tribe, the number 70, and the River Otter as its totem.
In 1994 Cherokee Council, headquartered in Burlington, NC, merged with Old North State Council. Tsalagi Lodge 163 merged with Keyauwee Lodge 70. The new lodge was named Tsoiotsi Tsogalii Lodge 70. The name means “We Three Friends” in Cherokee. The red-tailed hawk is the lodge’s totem.
1938 was an eventful year for Tali Taktaki Lodge! In April Joseph H. Brinton, National Chief of the Order of the Arrow visited the lodge’s annual meeting at Camp Graystone. There were representatives from East Carolina Council and Winston-Salem in attendance. Executives in both councils were considering forming OA lodges and took this opportunity to …Read More
Chapel Hill was the site for two large Scouting events in the 1930s. The “Carolina Jubilee” was held on the grounds of UNC in 1935 and 1938 (and again in 1941). Over 1400 Scouts from North and South Carolina attended the 1938 event including OA National Chief Joseph A. Brunton, Jr. Greensboro Council Scout Executive …Read More
A new Order of the Arrow lodge was chartered by Cherokee Council of North Carolina in 1939. The new Arrowmen wanted to name their lodge “Cherokee”, but were disappointed to learn that a lodge in Birmingham, Alabama already was using that name. Some unknown individual suggested the Native American word for Cherokee using their language …Read More
At the beginning of 1992 Keyauwee Lodge 70 was formed from the merger of Tali Taktaki Lodge 70 and Uwharrie Lodge 208. The first event that the members of the two lodges attended was the 1992 SE-7 Section Conclave held at Cherokee Scout Reservation on April 10 – 12. The new lodge did not receive …Read More
In 1957 Tali Taktaki lodge chief Steve Glass designed the lodge’s first flap. The fully embroidered patch has a lakeside scene with a youthful blue heron standing on a gray stone. The lodge restricted the patch to two per member per year. This design continued unchanged from 1957 to 1976. During this twenty year period …Read More
Tslagi Lodge 163 was chartered in 1939 by Cherokee Council and issued its first patch in 1953. The design for this first patch was a kneeling Indian chief drawing a bow. According to Blue Book there are three distinct issues with this basic design. They are as follows: A1 – Indian has Green belt and …Read More